A literature review is anessential part of dissertation paper writing: it shows the need for your workin relation to what is already known about your subject. A critical literature review,on the other hand, is analytical, in which the statement of facts are mentionedcritically. When writing acritical literature review for a dissertation, it is necessary tocollect information from numerous sources of medical and scientific field, evaluaterecent trends to add value to it. In any case, a good literature review musthave a critical approach. The critical analysis of literature makes it sound logical with goodinsight to perform good literature research.
The purpose of literature researchis to help you give an insight into the existing literature. Through a criticalreview of literature, you can find out:
- What are the findings of one study and what another study explored?
- What research has already been conducted?
- Which research is still missing or what is the research gap?
- What can you include in your existing research (where others lack)?
- Which research methods have been used by authors and why?
Prepare Your Literature Review In Five Steps
Formulate the research material
When writing a criticalliterature review for a dissertation, it is necessary to choose the mostreliable material and authentic sources to find the latest information. It canbe science, healthcare, technology and culture industry as they are constantlyevolving. A review of the literature always begins with your topic, researchvariables and objectives. Describe the existing ideas about the problem understudy, their evolution, naming the main representatives of the scientific ideasdedicated to the problem and indicating their achievements.
The introductory part ofthe literature review does not usually provide an accurate description of theproblem and the results of the study. It is best to describe in chronologicalorder, who, when, and in what direction, and briefly describe the topics ofresearch and experimentation. This should prevent the researcher from copyingthe same information each time a subsequent reference is made. There are many examples of critical reviewintroduction available on the internet where you can seek guidance from. Forinstance, google scholar lets you explore a number of peer reviewed articleswith critical review of literature.
Most of the literaturereview is based on publications containing direct research. A review shouldbegin with a brief description of the research carried out and a list of themain results. The reader must be able to imagine the object of the study, when,and by whom the study was carried out. Experimental material obtained fromother studies should be used with caution. For instance, the main body candiscuss about an objective or a variable and their findings that are comparedamong studies.
Write a conclusion
In the end, write aconclusion that brings the information altogether, in which your opinion is basedon the compare and contrast of various research. You can finish it by claimingthat a particular studies in this context have this stance but some also oppose,whereas some suggest further study.
After the completion of your dissertation, it is time to draw up a list of references (bibliography). Add all the references you need to the corresponding locations. When doing references, it should be remembered that the main principle of its compilation is to give the readers the opportunity to find the used literature easily. To do this, all the information about the source should be indicated completely. This is the main guarantee of success.
Importance of Critical LiteratureReview
The critical literaturereview is important due to the following reasons:
- It describes the relationship between theproposed study and previous researches.
- It shows the originality and relevance ofyour research questions. Particularly that your study is different from otherstatisticians.
- It proves that the method proposed isreasonable.
- It indicates that you are willing tocomplete the research.
Critical analysis of literature: Tips for completion of a dissertation
In the last phase, writea clear summary and preface make a table of content, check all the referencesand ensure the format and layout of the paper is neat. Read our tips aboutwriting a critical literature review for dissertation below:
- Re-readthe document again to correct any errors.
- Payattention to the writing style, structure, and format of the dissertation.
- Makesure the appendices meet the requirements.
- Writea summary in the end when the thesis is finished.
- Includea reading guide to let the reader know what is included in the document.
- Makesure to write a clear introduction and conclusion for your thesis.
- Referencesshould be formatted in alphabetical order.
- Beforesubmitting, go through the entire document carefully to ensure it’s perfect.
That’s all we have on writing a critical literature review. Now you know how to write a critical literature review so you can use it to improve your research writing. Literature is the second chapter of a dissertation and the first is introduction that should also be appealing to the reader. Here are some expert tips on writing a dissertation introduction that you can consider to improve your research writing.